Family-Owned & Operated For More Than 100 Years
Benner’s Auto Body first opened its doors in Cranford, NJ more than 100 years ago, founded by the Benner family in 1910. Today, Benner Auto Body is a household name, renowned throughout the state as New Jersey’s most trusted auto repair center—handling every issue from Gran’s fender-bender with her Honda Odyssey to Uncle Mike’s aluminum body work needs for his new Tesla Model S.
In the 50s, Harold F. Benner turned it into its first full-fledged auto body facility: a 6,000-foot-space with an office, one spray booth, and a 3,500 square foot body shop.
In 1980, the shop was sold to Joseph O’Neill Sr., who expanded the building to accommodate more cars and more customers in need. The renovations increased the body shop’s size to 25,000 square feet. The body shop can now hold 60 cars comfortably and the paint shop is equipped with two Accudraft downdraft spray booths.
Driven by Community & The Environment
In 2010, Benner’s Auto Body was handed down to its current owner, Joseph O’Neill Jr., who has helped Benner’s continue to uphold its core values of providing the best products and service available on the market and leading by example as an active member of the community. Since taking the helm, Joe Jr. has significantly expanded Benner’s community involvement from support of the Union County 200 Club and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center to support that additionally includes the Roselle Park Police Department, FDNY, Derek Jeter’s Turn 2 Foundation, Stand Up to Cancer, and the Fisher House Foundation.
Joe Jr. sits on the board of directors for the National Auto Body Council, where he hopes to make a positive impact on the lives of veterans hand-in-hand with the New Jersey Veterans Network through the council’s annual charity golf tournament and Recycled Rides program, donating vehicles to those in need.
Further, as an environmental steward, Benner’s Auto Body works tirelessly to reduce its carbon footprint through:
- Reduced Emissions
- Paint is the most toxic element produced at any body shop. However, we spray every vehicle with the highest quality waterborne paint, Glasurit 90 LINE. This reduces solvent fumes and VOC emissions by 96%, making the air cleaner for employees and the environment.
- Spraying occurs in a downdraft spray booth with sophisticated HVLP (high volume, low pressure guns). Use of HVLP spray guns can significantly reduce overspray which will reduce harmful emissions and save paint.
- Energy Efficiency
- Spray booths and air compressors are fitted with variable frequency drives. This means they only turn on when in use.
- Our shop’s heating system and spray booths are all fueled by clean natural gas.
- All the lights in our office and shop area use high-efficiency LED bulbs cutting our electricity consumption considerably.
- Excess paint and thinner is always recycled.
- Going Paperless
- We now have the ability for our process to be 100% paperless from start to finish, using eDocs.
Service with Respect
A lot has changed in the last several decades since the ownership of Benner’s Auto Body switched hands to the O’Neill family. But, the goal has remained the same: Our mission is to provide our customers with the service they expect with the respect they deserve while maintaining a high level of social responsibility focusing on the environment and the community at large.